The central theme for my multimodal memoir is that being a girl doesn't mean you have to be one thing. Even though girls and women are bombarded with images of how to look and act everyday in similar ways to how boys and men are told to look and act, they are so much more complex then the gender norms they are presented with. Being a girl/woman poses it’s challenges in our society, but I believe that the obstacles one faces as a female-identified person can make one stronger.
I have chosen six artifacts to illustrate this theme -- that women all have different experiences and identities. My first artifact is a video poem I created called "Seven Cups" and relates to a memory I have making jam with my family as a child. This memory speaks to the ways that language shapes expectations of what women are supposed to be, and how we pick up certain norms and expectations through our everyday interactions. My second artifact is a song, written and performed by the folk artist, Peggy Seeger, entitled “I’m gonna be an engineer”. Although I've never wanted to be an engineer, I have always been ambitious and wanted to achieve the best I can academically or in the workforce. Seeger's song speaks to the inequality women face coming into predominately male-dominated fields. I choose to include this song because it inspires me to keep preserving for what I am passionate about. A picture of a beacon hill park is my third artifact, and it relates to the way ...
I have chosen six artifacts to illustrate this theme -- that women all have different experiences and identities. My first artifact is a video poem I created called "Seven Cups" and relates to a memory I have making jam with my family as a child. This memory speaks to the ways that language shapes expectations of what women are supposed to be, and how we pick up certain norms and expectations through our everyday interactions. My second artifact is a song, written and performed by the folk artist, Peggy Seeger, entitled “I’m gonna be an engineer”. Although I've never wanted to be an engineer, I have always been ambitious and wanted to achieve the best I can academically or in the workforce. Seeger's song speaks to the inequality women face coming into predominately male-dominated fields. I choose to include this song because it inspires me to keep preserving for what I am passionate about. A picture of a beacon hill park is my third artifact, and it relates to the way ...
No comments:
Post a Comment